 Color / 1010
Re: Pics from ToyFair 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:29:27 GMT

In lugnet.color, Walter Walters wrote:
   But I want to reiterate what was said in the grandparent post. Exactly who does TLG think would be unhappy with the change back to classic gray?

1) The company. They’d lose money and waste ABS that they bought buy buying back the hordes of old gray. Also takes people’s time (aka more money) to make the change happen.

2) Various fringe fans. “I invested a lot of money into the new light gray, because you told us it was never coming back! Now my new investment is ruined!” Remember all the people who were up in arms about the return of the Maersk ship? I guarantee you that if THAT many people were angry about a flimsily pathetic implied promise, that SOME people would be unbelieveably furious that Lego went back to the old colors after telling us they wouldn’t.

   Personally, I really like the new Death Star model, but as soon as I saw it, my heart sank at seeing all that “blay”.

I think we’re all in the same boat in that regard. I still have yet to find someone who actually thinks the color change was overall a good decision. And it is a shame. Heck, according to Peeron, a full fifth of my collection is classic grey. A third of my collection is classic grey, brown, or dark grey. But what can you do? Either accept the fact that you’re not going to buy the new colors, and ignore any new sets whatsoever, or treat it like any other new color that Lego’s been pushing out, buy it in moderation, and wait to get a fair amount of it.

   Here’s a little gedankenexperiment: Suppose the UCS Death Star were available in both classic and new gray, which do you think would sell more?

Honestly, I think it would depend on how it was marketed. I expect the larger amount of buyers wouldn’t care that much. With the UCS sets a fair number of buyers aren’t just AFOLs, but die-hard Star Wars fans. Plus, many of them don’t take the model apart when they’re done, they leave it together on display. And if it’s not mingling with the rest of your collection, who cares what color it is?

If you put them side by side in the catalog, my guess is that yes, you’d probably see the classic grey exceed the new grey, but not by terribly much. My guess (as is Lego’s I can only assume) is the *positive* effect from sales wouldn’t outweigh the *negative* cost of switching back by a long shot.

DaveE