Re: For Participants (was: Re: Final call for the Gathering seats!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 11:43:09 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Frank Filz writes:
Shiri Dori wrote:

- Although I think planning out what the campsite will look like to detail
is not smart (people might not show up / suddenly show up / change their
plans / whatever)... I think it would be good to get a general feel of what
sorta settings people are going to bring... so we can group people together
(mountainous terrain on one side, a big river on the other, etc).

Jeff has already mentioned that the locale around the castle is pretty
much fields, and the castle is on a lake. I'm going to assume we can
take a little liberty with the "fields" and have some trees and rolling
terrain. One advantage of planning it out some is that we can set up
blank baseplates where the late arrivals camps are. It would also be
good to reserve out the waterfront space (it will be somewhat limited).

Just about anything is fine, short of very rocky, mountainous terrain and dense
forests.  Hills, boulders, and copses (is that correct pluralization?) of trees
are all fine.

Personally, I am already designing and started building a small building for
Marck, Cleo and the bunch to stay at. The way I've planned it, it is on a
beach of a lake/sea, or a riverside. Part of the building is on the mainland
and part is built above the water.

Jeff, how much of a town is around your castle? We've got at least two
inns so far (Fritz will be bringing one, his is 32x48, two stories), if
there is a town, we may want to have some other structures also.

The city is large, although I haven't built any of it yet, so I am more than
willing to use other people's buildings in any city scenes.  I hope to get some
shops and buildings made by Brickfest, but we'll see if I have time.

I'm not sure if I can manage it, but it would be nice to have a small
"market" area. Perhaps people can build some market stalls and carts on
plates so we can easily position them into the market.

I was thinking about this, too.  Definitely a good idea.  :)

I am wondering how much we really want to have the meeting in someone's
domain. It certainly has some advantages, but it also reduces
flexibility.

Where else would it be held?

I'm interested in coordinating the camp ground and market, so if people
want to start letting me know what their desires are in that area, I'll
start pulling it all together. Since Fritz has a fairly large inn, I
nominate him to be lodgings coordinator. Jeff, do you want to take on
"town" coordinator? Are we trompling over your idea of what your town
looks like.

Keep the look medieval (half timber buildings, stone buildings, an occasional
brick or stucco building, etc.) and I don't think I'll have a problem with it.
:)

Jeff