 Castle / 925
Re: Minifig question.. Swashbuckler?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 12:15:12 GMT

craig hamilton wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Heather Patey wrote:

Craig, your minifig ideas (as usual) sound great.  I've been hankering after
the pirate with the white shirt and tan vest for this very use, in order to
build the final scene from "The Highwayman"

I'd dearly love one of those as well.  Would that be the Noyes poem "The
Highwayman" (set to music by Loreena McKennit, among others?)  A great poem
(and song), but a little...er...*dark* for LEGO 'figs, no?  Especially that
final scene?

  jeff ~  would you belive that the lorena mc-kennit song is what inspired me
to make this fig!?

Sure.  That song was the first one of hers I ever heard, playing in a record
store.  I stood there and listened to it and wound up buying the CD after it
was
done.

BTW, the other option for the Highwayman hat would be the tricorns from the
Pirate sets.  Certainly from roughly the right time period!

poor forest babe got bound!

Bess, the landlord's daughter...a Padme hairpiece in black would be perfect
for
her (O sweet black waves in the moonlight!)

i love building "dark" things
from lego. the juxtaposition is interesting.(~ & funny; especially when
mini-figs are involved!)

Well, sure, I mean, I've had a "Man in the Iron Mask", a demonic servant of the
Witch-Queen, brother fighting brother, betrayals, all that sort of stuff - but
somehow everything winds up coming out OK.  I just have to.  It's the little
smiles on their faces.  LEGO are so innocent and optimistic to me.  (I think I
was actually bloodier about my play in my childhood...)

I think my minifigs exist in a sort of perpetual medieval Val-LEGO-halla,
where
they can drink all night and fight all day and even be killed or whatnot, but at
the end of it all, everybody is back again for another round of mead drunk
from
little yellow goblets.

On the other hand, there is a certain tragic beauty to the idea of the LEGO
Highwayman, lying in the middle of a spreading pool of red tiles as the Redcoats
reload...as long as I can imagine that they all go off for some of the
landlord's
ale together afterwards. 8)

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
LEGO Want List:      http://www.io.com/~jeffj/LEGO/wantlist.txt
LEGO Trade List:     http://www.io.com/~jeffj/LEGO/tradelist.txt
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m