 Castle / 6222
  Nationalities of Themes

As the title says, I am trying to figure out what country the themes come from: Crusaders, Royal Knights, Forestmen- English Black Knights, Dragon Masters- German Black Falcons- French Fright Knights- Transylvania? Speak up if you have better ideas. (...) (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes

(...) from: Here's what I think: Crusaders: Legoland Black Knights: Legoland Forestmen: Legoland Fright Knights: Legoland I don't think that the subthemes are meant to come from a country at all. It's just a product line, but I do think your (...) (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes

(...) is Japan. But how about Wolfpack? Hmm... (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes

(...) from: (...) Forestmen/Dark Forest: English Royal Knights/Knights Kingdom: English Crusaders/Classic: French and Burgunds Black Falcons: Teutonic Black Knights: Italians Dragon Masters: Austrian (maybe Hungarian) Fright Knights: Wallachian (...) (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes

(...) Now that I think about it: Black Knights: Teutonic Black Falcons: Austrian Dragon Masters: Hungarian Bruce (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes

(...) from: (...) The Crusaders were in Syria, according to a (non-LEGO) book I recently read. Royal Knights and Forestmen are probably English. (...) I don't know about Black Knights. When I first saw the Dragon Masters I thought they were (...) (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post

(...) from: I do agree that I don't think LEGO "placed" any of their castle themes within a certain time period or geographical location. But if they did.... I guess I'd have to say: Blue/Red shield crest knights: Who:Britons Where: Brittannia/South (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post

(...) Geez Kyle ... I just want to say that that's a very informative and historically fascinating post. It shines a new light on the little guys :) -- Pawel (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post

(...) The ancient "Britons" are Celts. The Romans simply conquered them - they didn't displace them with newcomers. (...) Vikings didn't use standard heraldry (unless you want to count the Normans, who were housebroken Vikings). They used round (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post

(...) Thanks Pawel! And I just wanted to reinforce to others that LEGO castle doesn't *need* to fit into any sort of geo or time-dependent criteria. Personally, it helps me to put historical facts to the medieval LEGO models and kingdoms I build. (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post

(...) I will enthuiastically agree...Thanks for the contextual information...I have never been able to put my finger on the chronology...this analysis is very interesting/thoughtful. (...) I don't really follow the historical context...I guess my (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post

(...) You are correct, when Rome invaded Britain in 55BC, they faced off against the Britons (Celts). I meant to say that the Britons (in 400AD under Roman Rule) were faced with the *Scots* in the North and the Saxons on the East. Eventually, after (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post

(...) The Romans simply left (So long and thanks for all the fish) leaving the Britons on their own. The Britons didn't so much gain independence as have it thrust upon them. (...) As I said, Vikings didn't use standard heradry. (...) This would be (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post

(...) Vikings weren't Normans until they settled in Normandy. It wasn't until @800 AD the Vikings truly started testing and attacking the Frankish borders. By @900AD the Vikings started to colonize northern France and it soon became Normandy. Before (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post

(...) I think we can safely say we have established that already. (...) Them darn Vikings were everywhere. Varangian guard for the Byzantines, tricking their way into Italian cities ("Urm, big place, must be Rome, let's sack it"), beseiging Paris, (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)