 Castle / 6255
Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:40:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.castle, Daniel S. Allen writes:
As the title says, I am trying to figure out what country the themes come
from:

I do agree that I don't think LEGO "placed" any of their castle themes within
a certain time period or geographical location. But if they did....

I guess I'd have to say:

Blue/Red shield crest knights:
Who:Britons
Where: Brittannia/South England/Wales
When:  @300-@800 AD

Why: Their 6 man army in set #6077 Knight's Procession (their only set!)is no
match for the "Crusader" army..which seemed to take over (just like the castle
theme).

Other: The Britons settled Britannia under Roman Rule and co-existed with the
Celts (where were there prior). Both factions lived within the same regions,
causing centuries of battles and skirmishes amongst eachother. The Celts
eventually re-inforced to the north. The Britons also had to face a new
challenge from the East. Saxons were migrating from Gaul to the east shores of
Britannia. The Britons now had to face a war on two fronts: Celts from north
and the Saxons from the east.

Crusaders:
Who: Saxons
Where: Brittannia/Southeast England
When:  @300-@1100 AD

Why: 1) The Crusaders vs Black Falcons theme seemed to model that after the
Saxons vs. Normans.
     2) Half-Timbered houses being developed (6067-Guarded Inn)

Other: The Saxons (Sachsens) were one of many "tribes" which migrated from
Gaul (German,France area) across the English Channel to Britannia. They
settled on the eastern shores of Britannia. Over time, more and more crossed
the channel and their settlements expanded west into Briton territory. Thus
started many centuries of war between the Britons and the Saxons. They Then
eventually defeated the Britons and controlled most of Britannia except for
the far north which still was held by the Celts. They merged with northern
tribes (who also migrated from Gaul) called the Anglos. They came to be known
as Anglo-Saxons...or..the English. They later had to deal with the Norman
invasion of England.

Black Falcons:
Who: Normans
Where: Mainland Europe/France/Normandy  (then to England)
When:@800-1100 AD

Why: 1) Norman Helmets
     2) The crossing from Normany to Britanny can be seen in set 6018 Battle
Dragon.
     3) "Black Falcon" shield symbol was a heraldry primarily used in Viking
and Scandinavian lineage.
     4) Half-Timbered Style houses starting to be introduced (6074  Black
Falcon's Fortress)

Other: The Viking raids and invasions of the ninth and tenth century led to
Scandinavian settlement in many parts of Europe. One of these places was north-
western France, in the area now known as Normandy. This name literally means
the 'land of the Northmen'. They most likely caused the Saxon migration to
Britannia. The Vikings eventually integrated with the already settled "Franks"
in the area. The merged groups soon became known as Normans.
The Normans invaded England in 1066 over a dispute over the English crown.
But despite the initial impact of the Norman Invasion, Anglo-Saxon culture was
too strong to stay submerged forever. Eventually the Saxons and Normans were
absorbed into eachother and English remained as the national language.

Forestmen:
Who: Rogue Saxons
Where: Britian/York/Nottingham
When: @1000- @1100 - Pre-Robin-Hood

Why: 1)Lived outside of cities.

Other: Most likely these were Saxons, driven off of their land and stripped of
their offices by the Norman conquest. Where as some Saxons embraced the
visitors, many Saxons were forced to relocate and formed communities which
resisted Pro-Norman uprising and continued to promote the Anglo-Saxon social
structure. Some of the Pro-Norman Saxons can be seen rounding up the Forestmen
in set 6042 Dungeon Hunters.

Dark Forest:
Who: Anti-Norman Rogues
Where: England/York/Nottingham
When: @1100- @1200 - Robin Hood Era

Why: I guess the "Robin Hood" figure would cause me to believe that this theme
fell into this time period. However, I can't explain the relationships between
the Dark Forest, Royal Knights, and Dragon Masters seem to be in the sets
(they seem to be teaming up) 6079-Dark Forest Fortress
                             6046-Hemlock Stronghold

Other: Dark Forest seems to just be a continuation of the Forestmen series
with the addition of the "Robin Hood" figure.

DragonMasters:
Who: Spanish inhabitants/Moors
Where: Spain
When: @700- @1500 AD
Why: Minifig faces seem to have Latino resemblence.

               Other: When the Arab armies swept across Northern Africa in the
7th century, they found indigenous tribespeople called Berbers living in the
northwestern corner of the continent. The Berbers and Arabs joined to conquer
Spain. There they intermarried with the Spanish. Their descendants came to be
called Moors. Eventually, around 1300 AD, Spain started a cleansing of all
Arabs from the country.

Wolfpack:
Who: Thief Guild- not an official nation
Where: European
When: @1100- @1500
Why: It just doesn't occur to me that the Wolfpack are a nation.
They seem more like outlaws or assassins.
Other:

Black Knights:
Who: Franks
Where: Europe/Gaul/Germany,France,Austria
When: @300AD - @1300
Why: 1)I guess when I think of black I think of German/ Austrian.
     2)They seem to intermingle with the Normans....who also lived in Gaul-
France for sometime
     3) The Black Knights seemed to be helping the Black Falcons with their
conquest of the Crusaders in set 6057-Sea Serpent

Other: The Franks were made up of a group of Germanic tribes who inhabited
mainland Europe (Gaul) @300AD. They had overthrown and kicked out the Romans
@486AD. Frankish conquests eventually encompassed most of western and central
Europe. , including the kingdoms of Neustria, Austrasia, and Burgundy. The
reign of CHARLEMAGNE @750 saw the implementation of Christianity into the
Saxon society (who eventually migrated to Britannia) as well as the
emmigration of the Vikings into Frankish territory. Eventually, the Vikings in
the NW part of France integrated with the local Franks and became the Normans.
In 870 the kingdom of the West Franks became France and that of the East
Franks became Germany.

Royal Knights:
Who: English
Where: Great Britain/ England/
When: @1100- @1500
Why: Spire-Style Castles
Other:

Knights Kingdom:
Who: English
Where: Great Britain/ England/
When: @1100- @1500
Why:
Other:

Notes:

The "cage" style helmet as first seen in the crusaders were developed @1400.
The "bascinet/pig face" style helmet as seen in the crusaders sets were
developed @1300
The "pikeman" armor and helmet as seen in the Knights Kingdom sets were
developed @1400AD.

With all that said:

I currently have my LEGO castle kingdom set around 1300AD.

-Kyle