 Castle / 6261
Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 20:22:23 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Kyle Peterson writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

The ancient "Britons" are Celts.  The Romans simply conquered them - they
didn't displace them with newcomers.

You are correct, when Rome invaded Britain in 55BC, they faced off against the
Britons (Celts). I meant to say that the Britons (in 400AD under Roman Rule)
were faced with the *Scots* in the North and the Saxons on the East.
Eventually, after most of the Romans left Britain to attend to matters in
Gaul, the Britons (Celts) expulged the remaining Romans from Britain and
fought the Saxons on their own. The Britons then gained independence from Rome
in 410AD.

The Romans simply left (So long and thanks for all the fish) leaving the
Britons on their own.  The Britons didn't so much gain independence as have it
thrust upon them.

Vikings didn't use standard heraldry (unless you want to count the Normans,
who were housebroken Vikings).

Yes and No.
Earlier/Anceint Vikings didn't have heraldry at all from what I've found.
However, Scandinavian/Viking tunics dated around the 5th century *have* been
found to carry patterns on them such as crosses, trees, and birds).

As I said, Vikings didn't use standard heradry.

I've been able to trace my family history back to the time of William the
Conqueror (via the domesday book) and even a generation further; and found
that part of my family's crest (if you will) was a black falcon. How strange.

This would be Normans, not Vikings.  Despite them really being housebroken
Vikings, the heraldic devices are that of France, not Scandanavia.

Lots of people had black falcons in their crests and shields - it wasn't an
exclusive to an area or people, of course, so any Lego faction can be bloody
well anyone you want them to be.  Don't argue with guys holding swords (blunt
and plastic though they may be).

They used round shields, more likely to have
abstract or geometric patterns for decoration.

Great! Works perfect with set 6030-Catapult

Auuuugggghhhhhh!  Trash can lids!  I suppose I should dig out my round shields
from the two Megablok Viking ships I have.  Anyone know if there I can find
appropriate circular plastic pieces that I can glue onto standard Lego
shields?  Did Lego even make decent round shields (the trash can lids do not
qualify as such in my estimation)?

I think most of that time period 400AD-1300AD seemed to be Britain-centric.
How about if I make Fright Knights Bohemian? Would that even it out?
(LEGO doesn't have any Roman minifigs) *pout*

-Kyle

It entirely depends on what you read.  Alexander Nevsky in Russia.  The
Crusades.  Holy Roman Empire.  Swiss independence.  Burgundy.  El Cid in
Spain.  Holy Orders.  In an english speaking world, most literature will focus
on the English experience, which makes that much more accessible.  You can
limit yourself to the British Isles and have a lot to work with, without a
doubt.

Fright Knights are from the Carpathian Mountains in Wallachia, silly.  If you
want to Hollywoodize them and say Transylvania, I suppose that works - I'm
just being snobby in insisting on Vlad Tepes' (Vlad the Impaler, Dracula) real
home turf.  :-)

Romans.  I'm working on that.  I'll have to settle for the Lorica Squamata
rather than the Lorica Segmentata, but I can probably make my own shields.

Bruce