 Castle / 6257
Re: Nationalities of Themes - long post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:51:38 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Kyle Peterson writes:
In lugnet.castle, Daniel S. Allen writes:
As the title says, I am trying to figure out what country the themes come
from:

I do agree that I don't think LEGO "placed" any of their castle themes within
a certain time period or geographical location. But if they did....

I guess I'd have to say:

Blue/Red shield crest knights:
Who:Britons
Where: Brittannia/South England/Wales
When:  @300-@800 AD

Why: Their 6 man army in set #6077 Knight's Procession (their only set!)is no
match for the "Crusader" army..which seemed to take over (just like the castle
theme).

Other: The Britons settled Britannia under Roman Rule and co-existed with the
Celts (where were there prior). Both factions lived within the same regions,
causing centuries of battles and skirmishes amongst eachother. The Celts
eventually re-inforced to the north. The Britons also had to face a new
challenge from the East. Saxons were migrating from Gaul to the east shores of
Britannia. The Britons now had to face a war on two fronts: Celts from north
and the Saxons from the east.

The ancient "Britons" are Celts.  The Romans simply conquered them - they
didn't displace them with newcomers.

Black Falcons:
Who: Normans
Where: Mainland Europe/France/Normandy  (then to England)
When:@800-1100 AD

Why: 1) Norman Helmets
    2) The crossing from Normany to Britanny can be seen in set 6018 Battle
Dragon.
    3) "Black Falcon" shield symbol was a heraldry primarily used in Viking
and Scandinavian lineage.
    4) Half-Timbered Style houses starting to be introduced (6074  Black
Falcon's Fortress)

Vikings didn't use standard heraldry (unless you want to count the Normans,
who were housebroken Vikings).  They used round shields, more likely to have
abstract or geometric patterns for decoration.  The Austrians, on the other
hand, have a black falcon on their flag to this day.  Kinda landlocked for the
Battle Dragon, but that's the Black Knights boat, anyway.

An interesting Dark Ages scenario - kinda Britain-centric, but it's an
interesting period.

Bruce