 Castle / 4107
Re: My forestmen loss
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 21:35:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:

Christopher Lindsey <lindsey@nospam.mallorn.com> wrote in message
Frank Filz wrote:

For smokey LEGO, you only need to do Pine-Sol soak and then a soap
washing, no need to do a soap cycle before the Pine-Sol (though I
suppose if the pieces are extremely grungy it might be worth it). I also
sometimes do an extra soap soak before or after the long one (I've
actually taken to always doing a quick soap wash after the long soak,
the long soak does a good job of softening stuff, but it helps to wash
everything in a fresh wash solution afterwards.

What I now do (now that I've learned my lesson :) is to fill up the
upstairs bathroom sink with warm water, dump the legos in there,
and then pump a few spurts of Dial antibacterial soap in.  I swirl it
around, let it sit for an hour, rinse, and the smoke smell is totally
gone.

Aren't you afraid than when you let the water out, you'll loose a brick down
the drain.   I soak mine in a dishpan.  The smaller pieces I have soaked in
a plastic collander and others in a mesh lingerie bag in  the dish pan.
Lift the collander or mesh bag out and change the water several times to
rinse.

I use Orvis liquid soap that is used to wash Heirloom textiles/quilts to
soak and wash bricks.  It is very gentle but effective.  It is rinses
off/out completely- no residue.  I don't know how it would be at removing
the aroma of smoke.  It can be found at quilt shops in small bottles  or in
gigantic ones at saddle shops.  It is used to wash horses and sheep.  The
large container lasts forever.  I 'm on the last third of a bottle that I
got over 5 years ago.  I have used it for regular laundry, washing my car,
and for washing my own hair when out of shampoo.  It's a great product .

sheree

Although always washing any Lego elements picked up from boot sales, charity
shops etc I've found that the worst cases are those amongst my own collection
which have been played with a lot. When I left the dark ages about three years
ago I opened up a box of all my Lego which had been stored for over ten years
(and I thought that pathetic collection was a lot!).

Using the soak/soap technique already mentioned I also found that a dish-
scrubbing brush helped but was VERY VERY time consuming. Some bricks just
would not clean up like the others and it soon dawned on me that these bricks
were actually discoloured due to age or whatever. White plates seem to be the
worst culprits here.

Due to my ignorance at the time, I discarded a rare component from set 120
which had a minor crack in it - how I cringe now!

I used to have an industrial dishwasher used in a business venture some years
ago - this would be ideal for LEGO bricks as long as you watched the
temperature, of course. I remember using it to clean motorcyle engine cases
with fantastic results!

Jon