 Castle / 2973
Re: [CW] Mutual stories question and offer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:33:33 GMT

Jumping in--

In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
Well, if two people make a mutual story or storyline, and submit it to CW,
both get the credit, right? So, both people get that ballad in their
repertoire (or whatever we called the collection of ballads), right? (Wait,
those are rethorical questions. Don't answer yet :)
So my line of reasoning leads me to think that such a ballad would be counted
more than once toward the realm-gaining count, in fact, one time for each
person. Is that so?

Just to put in a bit of specifics here-- the eventual idea is that members will
log on to submit ballads (not sure of formats yet)... Whichever member submits
the ballad provides the names of other members who contributed to the ballad
when they're submitting it. Hence, multiple members may be associated with the
same ballad. And further, any members associated with the ballad will be able
to edit that ballad's information/content after it has been submitted. If the
balladeer submitting the ballad forgets to add a member, the forgotten member
could always contact the admins (or the member who submitted it) who would
correct the information-- although contacting the other member would be faster,
since the admins would probably contact the submitting member to confirm
ANYWAY, before modifying the ballad's info.

Yep.  BUT ... I think the "Realm Getting" will not be based soley on
ballads.  I think it's going to be based on need as well as a committee of
individuals which will decide which Realms go where and when.  I think this
will be the best solution, because while some people might be great
storytellers, others simply like to build.  No need to limit the ones that
simply build. A committee will bring balance to CW.

I think the best way to go here is NOT to limit people to the number of realms
they can soak up. However, in order to "claim" a realm, you need to submit a
structure or group of structures (town/city) which will be placed in that
realm. Maybe even as far as submitting a 'place' like a forest or a valley or
something.  Additionally, upon gaining membership, the user is given a single
realm by default. I would argue that you can't claim a realm with only a
character or a creature, though. And just an addendum, ballads also don't
entitle a member to a realm-- these should probably be associated with already
existing realms, which SHOULD be established with structures or places, if only
for the purposes of supporting the ballad.

My logic behind this is primarily that I don't think space will be a big issue.
I don't think people are going to go around eating up realms until there are
none left. BUT, if particular people DO start eating up realms without
substance, or the admins feel that these people are simply aiming for a
complete monopoly on a given area (or just generally doing something bad), the
admins may step in and prevent that user from doing so. Hence, limits, rather
than freedoms, will be issued out by the "committee" of admins. The admins only
act when they feel someone is misbehaving. On that note- members will be
encouraged to "BE COURTEOUS!", along with a set of guidelines (similar to
LUGNET's T&C) explaining how to do so.

Dave Eaton and I talked about the future of CW and maybe giving each person
a message board on their member page that could be used to keep
everyone updated on what's going on.  We'll do a lot more on that later on
though ...

Oh-- actually, to clarify, it was my intent was that if desired, we could
impliment a "universal" message board-- this would display member and
non-member comments, questions, etc. about CW in general, in addition to update
info, etc. I suppose a message board for each member would be feasible, but
probably not overly practical, I'd think-- I think most people wouldn't update
it enough to be of real use...

As for keeping members updated, my thoughts were that on the main page, the
newest X updates to CW would be displayed. Hence, if member A submits a ballad
or a structure, it generates a new announcement on the main page... something
like:

3/2/2000 - Member A submitted a brand new [structure/ballad/character/etc]
named [Tagert's Gate/The Journey Southward/Quifil the Headhunter/etc] with
[general specs of structure/ballad/character/etc with a link to it, and a
picture if applicable]

The main page would keep, say, 5 of them (or any arbitrary number), and would
have a link to a "history of updates" page to display a list of the last N
updates to CW.

Anyway, those have been some of my thoughts to date, just to clarify a little
(hopefully)...

DaveE