 Castle / 2786
Re: [CW] Domain Name, server ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:22:50 GMT

2.  Of course doing this and getting a domain name does cost.  In the NELUG
case I did all the initial funding and since then I have recieved a couple of
donations toward the site from members although it has not covered my initial
outlay.  I don't know how much Pawel is planning to fund this himself but here
are my ideas for funding the site.

Well .. being a college student, I really can't afford to fund it all
myself.  That's what I'm thinking about right now ...

A.  Have a membership fee.  This is not the best approach in my mind because it
is exclusionary.

I don't see us doing that at any time ... we could have "sponsors" of the
page - people that would be willing to donate a few bucks or creations for the
page to continue having it's own domain name, etc ...

B.  Take voluntary donations.  This is good although without knowing how much
Pawel is spending it is hard to judge how much to give in order to cover costs.

That's true ... I will have to give this more thought.  I think this could
go under the "sponsors" part of the page.  What are your thoughts on that?  A
special section for people that have helped out with making CW grow and
expand ... I suppose these would be the equivalent of boosters in sports;)

C.  Sign up for some affiliate programs.  My idea here would be to set up a
"Store" on Castle world where people could buy Castle LEGO from say E-Toy's or
Amazon.com.  I did this for a while with Star Wars LEGO on my old site and I
made over $50 with almost no effort.  The way this works is you go to the
stores site and sign up for the program then using their instructions you set
up links to anything from their home page down to individual products.  Then
any time someone buy's product after coming through your link you get a
percentage of the sale.  Actually Todd does this in the Pause database as well.
For an example look at the bottom of this page.

Great idea!  Any more info on that ... ?

Thanks!

-- pn