 Castle / 2784
Re: [CW] Domain Name, server ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:53:33 GMT

<snip>

3)  Over the summer, major changes will be made.  I'm thinking of getting a
pair.com webmaster account for this ($29.95 per month).  We would then set
the full
system so that a new members will be given a user name and password and will
have their own page to which they can upload pictures, add history and
events, and
maintain their own Kingdom (with their many realms as subdirectories).  This
will make my life a lot easier and I can focus on building my own stuff.
The question is
what this will take ... ?  A server?  Since lugnet is hosted on pair.com, I
think pair should have all that I need and more.

Well I have been stuck in airports for the last 2 days so I have missed quite a
bit.  I do have a few suggestions here though.

1.  I think pair.com is great it is where the NELUG site ( http://www.nelug.org
) is hosted and I have been very happy with their service.

2.  Of course doing this and getting a domain name does cost.  In the NELUG
case I did all the initial funding and since then I have recieved a couple of
donations toward the site from members although it has not covered my initial
outlay.  I don't know how much Pawel is planning to fund this himself but here
are my ideas for funding the site.

A.  Have a membership fee.  This is not the best approach in my mind because it
is exclusionary.

B.  Take voluntary donations.  This is good although without knowing how much
Pawel is spending it is hard to judge how much to give in order to cover costs.

C.  Sign up for some affiliate programs.  My idea here would be to set up a
"Store" on Castle world where people could buy Castle LEGO from say E-Toy's or
Amazon.com.  I did this for a while with Star Wars LEGO on my old site and I
made over $50 with almost no effort.  The way this works is you go to the
stores site and sign up for the program then using their instructions you set
up links to anything from their home page down to individual products.  Then
any time someone buy's product after coming through your link you get a
percentage of the sale.  Actually Todd does this in the Pause database as well.
For an example look at the bottom of this page.

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6091

Something else to look for on pair is their Monthly Special's.  I actually
saved about %50 on NELUG's monthly fee for one years by prepaying for the year
when I set up the account.  They do change the special each month and some
month's specials are better than others but it is something good to watch.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at: