 Castle / 2788
Re: [CW] Domain Name, server ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:41:49 GMT

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:22:50 GMT, "Pawel Nazarewicz" <verneer@utk.edu>
wrote:

A.  Have a membership fee.  This is not the best approach in my mind because it
is exclusionary.

I don't see us doing that at any time ... we could have "sponsors" of the
page - people that would be willing to donate a few bucks or creations for the
page to continue having it's own domain name, etc ...

Or, you could do what a lot of "free" places on the web do.  Have a
base service level that is free.  And offer other services for those
willing to pay a fee.  This could be increased disk space, more
functionality, maybe an @castleworld.org (.com is already taken)
e-mail forwarding e-mail address, etc.

C.  Sign up for some affiliate programs.  My idea here would be to set up a
"Store" on Castle world where people could buy Castle LEGO from say E-Toy's or
Amazon.com.  I did this for a while with Star Wars LEGO on my old site and I
made over $50 with almost no effort.  The way this works is you go to the
stores site and sign up for the program then using their instructions you set
up links to anything from their home page down to individual products.  Then
any time someone buy's product after coming through your link you get a
percentage of the sale.  Actually Todd does this in the Pause database as well.
For an example look at the bottom of this page.

Great idea!  Any more info on that ... ?

Go to Amazon.com and Etoys.com and check out their affiliate programs.
They're pretty self-explanatory.  Don't count on quick money from
them, though - most pay quarterly and most have a fairly high minimum
or the amt will be carried to the next quarter.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?