 Castle / 2780
Re: [CW] Domain Name, server ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:02:08 GMT

Anyway, I think maybe a LUGNET auction (or maybe using Mike Stanley's
BRICKS@Guarded-Inn.com) would be the best idea.  Or at least heavy publicity
here on LUGNET.  It would be good if we had a lot of cool stuff on the CW
website to show people what they were supporting, too!

Er, not that there isn't cool stuff there now.  I meant a really solid
starting base, with like an example realm, and the map and all that.  So that
people have a good sense that this project is really happening and isn't going
to just fizzle out.

Yeah ... my thinking has been on that as well.  My original plan was to put
a few figs on e-bay with a link back to the site - pretty much a $.25 ad for
the site;)  But since
we're not quite where we want to be, this has been delayed.  The main thing
I wanted to do was get my paypal.com name out there - so people can support
CW that way.

But ...  It all goes back to "What is there to support?"  Well ... there is
the site right now, but that's now anywhere near where I want it to be.  I
guess it all goes back to
the fact that I'm a very impatient person.  Gotta have it and gotta have it
now.  This is applied to all my affairs - gotta have a domain name and gotta
have it now.  Gotta
have a self-updating webpage and gotta have it now.  Gotta pace myself ... ;)

How do you mean, self-updating?  As in, I could log in somehow and put my
stuff directly on the CW server, without going through you?  I'm sure that'd
save you work...8)

Yeah ... I talked with David Eaton about that, but I'm afraid I just don't
have the level of experise that he has.  Here is the ideal plan for this
though (which WILL be
implemented in the future ...)  Anyhow ... I think I should post a little
outline of where I see things going:

1)  The Map is online and people start building their realms.  Maybe we
could use brickset to help us with this for now?  (not that people sending
me e-mails isn't
working for now, but there still has to be a more efficient way in the
future once we have more members).  Just for the record - we have over 20
contributing members
right now.

2)  Since the page is going through major changes, the member (balladeer)
page hasn't been updated.  No reason for updating in two places at the same
time.  A few of
the beta testers will attest to the fact that the wait should be worth it;)

3)  Over the summer, major changes will be made.  I'm thinking of getting a
pair.com webmaster account for this ($29.95 per month).  We would then set
the full
system so that a new members will be given a user name and password and will
have their own page to which they can upload pictures, add history and
events, and
maintain their own Kingdom (with their many realms as subdirectories).  This
will make my life a lot easier and I can focus on building my own stuff.
The question is
what this will take ... ?  A server?  Since lugnet is hosted on pair.com, I
think pair should have all that I need and more.

Anyhow - that's the outlook that I have in mind right now ... more on that
later.  Now ... for Jeff's other post;)

-- pn