 Castle / 2701
Re: Viking Hats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 01:52:03 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Eric Lind wrote:
Not to quibble... I lied, I am quibbling... Vikings didn't have horns on
their helmets.  It's a myth, propogated by Wagnerian operas.  Or the Pork
Industry.  A "realistic" LEGO Viking helmet would be more in line with
the archer/spearman type helmets from older sets, I think (1).

Eric, you are completely right.  No horns on Viking helmets, historically
speaking.

You're both right -- haven't you seen Mel Brooks' classic movie, "History of the
World, Part One"?

At the end of the film, we get a sneak preview of (never-made, and most likely
never intended to be made) "History of the World, Part Two."  "See!  A Viking
funeral," the announcer says excitedly.  In respect for their fallen comrade, we
see the Vikings remove their helmets.  The HELMETS have no horns -- the PEOPLE
do.

Mystery solved. ;^)

The Celts, on the other hand, sometimes did have horns.

Errr... I think you meant the Celts' *helmets*.  8^)

Followups, if you couldn't guess, are set to lugnet.off-topic.fun.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Strucutral Biology