 Castle / 2729
Re: Viking Hats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:31:35 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Eric Lind writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:

Aaah, but you see, I was quibbling.  I'd make Vikings horned, too.
Interesting note, Viking Voyager didn't have horns
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=Viking+Voyager.  This is another
set I loved as a kid.  I'm sure I still have it... somewhere.

I always wanted that set...  :(

Come to think of it, I may not have had it, only building detailed copies.
I've never found the instructions for it, and I always saved those.  Drat!

Yes, it would be cool.  I'd kinda like to see more rotation of Castle themes,
so we can get other cultures in our lands.  :)  I now actually think Ninja • was
a good thing, and I'd like to see it make another run in a couple years.  The
buildings needed work though...

I agree!  I disliked the Fright Knights (hokey, IMHO), but I like the other
cultural themes.  Vikings would be cool, as would some sort of Byzantine • theme.
I'd also love to see ancient Greek or Roman sets, but that ain't agonna
happen.

Varangian guard, Kataphracts and Kontos: I'd like 'em, but somehow it doesn't
seem to be the most recognizable theme to pick.

I've always suspected that LEGO has avoided Vikings as a theme because they • are
associated quite strongly with looting and pillaging.  Too violent.

Sigh, I suspect you are right.  Those pesky Danish raiders were often just
traders, but it's the perception.  Or perhaps they feel the emphasis becomes
boats rather than castles?

Bruce