 Castle / 2680
Re: Viking Hats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:17:23 GMT

Eric Lind wrote:
Not to quibble... I lied, I am quibbling... Vikings didn't have horns on their
helmets.  It's a myth, propogated by Wagnerian operas.  Or the Pork Industry.
A "realistic" LEGO Viking helmet would be more in line with the archer/spearman
type helmets from older sets, I think (1).

Eric, you are completely right.  No horns on Viking helmets, historically
speaking.

The Celts, on the other hand, sometimes did have horns.

The Viking helmets I've seen were most like the classic Castle 'vader'
helmets,
conical and with a 'nasal' to protect the face, although without the 'flare'.
I think those are the ones you were referring to...

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m