 Castle / 2679
Re: Viking Hats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.western
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:14:55 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Eric Lind writes:
In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.castle, Alan Gerber writes:
For Viking hats with horns, you could use those wild west Native American • hats
with horns.

That was the first and only thing that came to my mind while looking at those
hats ;-)
But I don't 'do' Vikings :-)

Not to quibble... I lied, I am quibbling... Vikings didn't have horns on their
helmets.  It's a myth, propogated by Wagnerian operas.  Or the Pork Industry.
A "realistic" LEGO Viking helmet would be more in line with the
archer/spearman type helmets from older sets, I think (1).

Either old helmet would work, I believe, if you cut it.  You'd want to cut it
right at the top of the face-opening part, leaving a peaked cap.  Hmmm...  I
may have to try this...

FTR, I'm not expert either, this is just from memories of pics in books 'n
stuff.

Eric "the 1/4 Swedish person" Lind

I'm a 2/5 Norwegian person.  ;)

(1) I am by no means an expert on this, but most of my reading supports the
non-horned Viking helmet position (2).

The only horns they could use would be goat or bison or something like that.
Which is entirely possible.  I believe the myths stated the horns were Troll
horns, but I'm not sure.

Jeff
"Was it real, or just my fantasy?"
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/