 Castle / 2666
  Viking Hats

For Viking hats with horns, you could use those wild west Native American hats with horns. Alan This message's random set is: 8250, (URL) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) That was the first and only thing that came to my mind while looking at those hats ;-) But I don't 'do' Vikings :-) -Shiri (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) hats (...) Not to quibble... I lied, I am quibbling... Vikings didn't have horns on their helmets. It's a myth, propogated by Wagnerian operas. Or the Pork Industry. A "realistic" LEGO Viking helmet would be more in line with the (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Either old helmet would work, I believe, if you cut it. You'd want to cut it right at the top of the face-opening part, leaving a peaked cap. Hmmm... I may have to try this... FTR, I'm not expert either, this is just from memories of pics in (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Eric, you are completely right. No horns on Viking helmets, historically speaking. The Celts, on the other hand, sometimes did have horns. The Viking helmets I've seen were most like the classic Castle 'vader' helmets, conical and with a (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) ;-) (...) Hmm. I've never heard of this, but I don't know anything about Vikings. That's pretty interesting... But like I said, I'm not so much into Vikings. I like the traditional Euro- style better... If I would ever make Vikings, I'd look (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Removing the 'flare' from a 'vader' helm would make an acceptable nasal helm, much like those used by Vikings and Normans alike. Normans would often wear a mail coif underneath this helm to protect their necks, shoulders, and all of their head (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) You're both right -- haven't you seen Mel Brooks' classic movie, "History of the World, Part One"? At the end of the film, we get a sneak preview of (never-made, and most likely never intended to be made) "History of the World, Part Two." (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Someone would have to figure out how to make a LEGO goat-drawn chariot. Really. Those wacky Norsemen had some "interesting" ideas. Eric "the" Lind (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

Wouldn't a viking theme be based on the Viking Mythos anyway? I mean, there were no dragons in medieval times either, but I gots ta have my dragon in my castle set. Even the pirates are kind of archetypical, based more on Errol Flynn movies than the (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Aaah, but you see, I was quibbling. I'd make Vikings horned, too. Interesting note, Viking Voyager didn't have horns (URL) This is another set I loved as a kid. I'm sure I still have it... somewhere. Eric "the" Lind (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Interesting (...) I think TLG could do a first rate job on a Viking theme. Large Viking boat Viknig fiord village or even attaking an English village(understanding they were not English but really Saxons at that time) Maybe even get into the (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) I always wanted that set... :( (...) Yes, it would be cool. I'd kinda like to see more rotation of Castle themes, so we can get other cultures in our lands. :) I now actually think Ninja was a good thing, and I'd like to see it make another (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.western)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Come to think of it, I may not have had it, only building detailed copies. I've never found the instructions for it, and I always saved those. Drat! (...) I agree! I disliked the Fright Knights (hokey, IMHO), but I like the other cultural (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) was (...) theme. (...) happen. Varangian guard, Kataphracts and Kontos: I'd like 'em, but somehow it doesn't seem to be the most recognizable theme to pick. (...) are (...) Sigh, I suspect you are right. Those pesky Danish raiders were often (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) The much reviled bat-wing helmet isn't too far off of some viking helmets if you slice off the bat wings. I intend to perform some further surgery on a few of these to see what I can come up with. Bruce (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) dark-grey hand, the brown-ish/red-ish bearded face from Western/Castle/Pirates, and some red hippy-hair, and you're in business! Steve (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Why isn't that going to happen? Here is an idea TLG, you have the disney liscence, make hercules and alladin sets -- Jonathan Wilson wilsonj@xoommail.com (URL) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Oh, yeah, like that would be any sort of compromise. I really want those horibly mangled versions of Greek and Arabic Mythology. Disney hasn't made a proper version of a fairy tale or myth in a *long* time (if at all). The only good thing I (...) (24 years ago, 19-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Well, in all fairness, can you name a movie in, say, the last 30 years that actually portrayed a myth accurately? The last 40 years? 50? I'm drawing a blank. And let's keep the selection field arbitrarily limited to English-language films, (...) (24 years ago, 19-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Hats

(...) Doesn't the flare represent mail? I've always thought so, and it could be argued that it does so on the new kettle helms, too... Dave! (24 years ago, 19-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)