 Castle / 20675
Re: Vikings?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:46:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Stacey wrote:
Are you using the term Viking here where you should prehaps be using the
term Norsemen ? I always thought that 'Viking' was a term for the Warriors.
Various online encyclopaedias seem to agree with this..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings for example.
quote : The name Viking is a loan from the native Scandinavian term for the
Norse seafaring warriors who raided the coasts of Scandinavia, Europe and
the British Isles from the late 8th century to the 11th century, the period
of European history referred to as the Viking Age.

I am of course not from the area while you are so prehaps I should bow to
your knowlage :)

And I'm not English speaking, so perhaps "Viking" in English do mean what you
quote.
But the term "Viking" in Danish mean the Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and
Icelandic seafaring PEOPLE of the 8th to 11th century, not just the few raiders.
And normally we in Scandinavia call them "Danish Vikings", "Swedish Vikings"
etc., as there are some differences. The Danish Vikings conquered South England,
Ireland and Normandie, the Norwegian Vikings conquered North England, Isle of
Man, the Orkney and Shetland isles, and Iceland, the Swedish Vikings conquered
Russia, and the Icelandic Vikings (descendants of the Norwegians) established
colonies in Greenland and North America.
When you think of Vikings as Raiders, please consider this: the Vikings
established colonies in Greenland without displacing or fighting the original
inhabitants - how many other colonizations can you say the same of? The first
forceful displacing of the Greenland inuits took place in the 1950'ties, when
the American government asked the Danish government to remove the town of Thule,
so an airbase could be established - and the Danish government happily complied.
And the Vikings established the worlds longest living democracy: Iceland
inaugurated their parliament in year 1000, and its still there today.

So the Vikings were not just some barbaric pirates, and they never build
castles, so back to the subject: No, the viking theme is not the cross between
Pirates and Castle.

Arne, Copenhagen