 Castle / 20672
Re: Vikings?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:17:29 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Johannes Koehler wrote:

I say the Vikings are both Pirates and Castle because the Vikings were Pirates
(robberers comming over the sea) in Castle times. They are the link between the
two themes.

While this IS the popular thought on Vikings, its not the historical correct
one.
The Vikings was first of all explorers, conquerors, farmers and merchants -
exploring Russia, Iceland, Greenland, North America, and conquering England,
Ireland and Northern France.
Only a few Vikings were raiders, raiding what they could get their hands on,
including other Viking settlements; basically, your normal neighborhood
criminals.
And Vikings didn't build fortresses; they build villages and a few exceptional
round earthwork military forts (4 are known, all in Denmark), but there are no
mentioning or remnants of wooden fortresses like the ones depictured by Lego and
Playmobil.

Arne, Copenhagen (Viking descendant, like so many others around the world)