 Castle / 19932
Re: Medieval Windmill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 17:56:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   I like the rounded top. As I said on the COLTC list I have concerns about the long term durability of the MicroMoter due to torque loading, but hey, if it works it works.

We’ll see I guess. If it burns out in a few days, that’s bad. If it lasts several 100 hours, that’s good neough for me. I’ll post if (when) it dies.

I didn’t see how this mill determines which way to face, though...

This is determined by the miller. These old style mills (unlike electric power generating mills), were put in such a direction (by dragging the tow cords and tying them to the base), till the speed of the blades was OK for the mill to run at the speed needed. This could be any direction of the 360 degree in relation to the wind. A second way of adjusting speed (or power), was to cover the blades with cloth sails. In short, these typoe of mills are not supposed to determine which way to face, that was a human task.

Paul