 Castle / 19931
Re: who wants to buy my whole collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 17:38:30 GMT

In lugnet.castle, daniel ravenda wrote:
thats right i am out
i need money to saVE FOR collage
heres what i got
390-450 minifigs
tons of weapons shield shiny armors old skool stuff
thousands of bricks
many grey bricks
many baseplates
please respond with an offer on this web site
I'd also like to say I still love lego but am not allowed any more to do it so i
still lurk and well i want others to have great collections like mine was and I
need to save money for collage Cause my parents cant afford to send me when I
graduate so make me an offer on here and i'll email or post you back

Let me tell you something about College.

If you can't get at least $1,000-$2,000 for your collection, I wouldn't bother
selling it, it won't make a dent in the debt you're going to accrue, unless you
stay at home and get all your meals free, and even that will still rack up the
costs of tuition, fees, books and travel expenses.

My fiancee' Christina recieved a big fat $0.00 from her parents to go to
college, and at the end of her TWO YEARS there, as in earning an Associate's
Degree at a small, rather cheap  college, she earned herself a stack of debt
almost worth $30,000.  That's including room and board, as she could not live at
home and attend college.

My Bachelor's Degree at Texas A&M University nearly broke my father, and he is a
professional engineer with Boeing (and IBM before that).  Here's a taste of what
A&M is like:  my Chemestry book, which I bought my first semester at college,
cost me $350.00.  Not every book is that much of course, but every book I even
bought for classes cost me over $50, most of the time closer to $100, and you
have to multiply that times 4-6 classes a semester, and multiply that by how
many semesters you intend to attend.

On average I spent about $250 a semester on books, and I attended A&M for five
years (10 semesters), so that averages $2,500 on books alone.  Granted you can
sell your books back, but the books stores only took my books back half the
time, and only gave me a very small amount for them.

If your parents can't afford to send you to college and you are determined to go
(good for you, BTW), then you're going to be taking out quite a few loans and
applying for all the grants and scholarships you can get.

If you're old enough to go to college, or even just old enough to start
preparing to go to college on your own, then you should be old enough to make at
least some of your own decisions.  That being the case, it's my opinion that
your parents shouldn't be able to allow or forbid you to play with LEGO if it's
something you truly enjoy.  Personally I'd tell my own parents (and I love them
to death) where they could stick it if they told me I was no longer 'allowed' to
play with my LEGO.  It's something I enjoy and there's no one on earth who can
change that.

Of course to each his own.  If you can't afford to upset your parents, then
you'll have to deal with that.  If they're co-signing loans, contributing a
little money, or letting you attend college from home, then you might not want
to risk losing that.

But I will tell you there is always a way.  Colleges will bend over backwards to
get you up to your neck in debt if you can't afford it on your own.  Just
remember that government loans are usually the best, since their interest rates
are the lowest for the longest amount of time.  Never EVER pay your college
tuition and fees on a credit card, my roommate did that for the first two years
of his total of 6, and now has whittled his debt down to over $50,000 and his
interest is at ~35%.

/end of rant

You're your own person.  Do what you have to do.  Just remember that while every
little bit helps, weigh your options.  What is your hobby worth to you?  Will
selling it get you enough money to make a difference?  Would keeping your
collection be worth more to you than the money you'd get for it?  Would having
your collection in college help you through the stressful times or would it be a
distraction?  Do you see yourself still being an AFOL after college?

Buying back your collection later in life, if LEGO is still something you enjoy
then, will be very difficult and very expensive.  I know there are plenty of
AFOLs around who regret selling off their collection when they were young.

--Anthony