 Castle / 1980
Re: Going about building a Medieval Bridge...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:38:39 GMT

Hi Eric,

I don't know too much about lego bridges, but I have seen a couple of bridges
in my (short) life ;-)
I don't know if they were medieval or not, but heck, it's worth a shot...
(They were all in Israel, maybe Crusaders era?)

All of these bridges were built of stone, and the structure for stone is
Always, ALWAYS arches. This is because of the (true) functional strength of
arch-shaped structures - each stone is supported by two stones, and also
supports them. If you wanna go realistic, then:
stone -> arches
and
wood -> long span (or maybe arches too, but less common).

Gatehouse, gate - all depends on your city size and such.

If the bridges are small, inner-city bridges, they prolly won't need guards or
other stuff.

HTH, and can't wait to see those bridges!

-Shiri