 Castle / 1977
Re: Going about building a Medieval Bridge...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:25:42 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Eric Kingsley writes:
I have been considering making some sort of bridge as my next project.  My
problem is I don't really know how to go about creating a Medieval Bridge.  So
here are a few questions that if you could help me it would be much
appreciated.

1.  What should a Medieval bridge (for a city) be constructed out of...
   A.  Stone (Gray/DkGray Bricks)
   B.  Wood  (Brown/Red Bricks)
   C.  Other

2.  What would a Medieval bridge (for a city) look like...
   A.  Open with many arched segments and footings.
   B.  Open with a long open span.
   C.  Covered with many arched segments and footings.
   D.  Covered with a long open span.
   E.  Other

3.  How wide should a Medieval bridge be (for a city) in LEGO Units.
   A.  4 Studs (Walking bridge only)
   B.  6 Studs (Walking and Horses)
   C.  8 Studs (Walking, Horses, and Carriages)
   D.  10+ Studs.

4.  Seeing this bridge would probably be a main entrance to a City does it
need
   A.  Just Guards.
   B.  Guards and a Gate.
   C.  Guards, a Gate, and a Gate House.
   D.  No Guards at all.

The correct answer is yes. :)

More seriously, it depends on the function, as I'm sure you've gathered from
the other posts on this thread.  There is no "typical" bridge I can point to,
but I can offer some suggestions.

A stone bridge will be either an arched span, or a flat bridge with footings
and arched supports if it is too long for an arched span.  Off the top of my
head, I'd say that 12-14 studs is about as long as you could get away with for
an arched span before it starts looking awkward (and the arch gets too  high
for minifigs to want to use it <grin>).  Also, the 10 or 12 arches are what I
would use for arches between footings on a longer bridge, with possibly a
"shorter" gap at either end between the shore anchor and the first footing.

A wooden bridge will almost invariably be an arched span, although a wooden
span could go farther (with less arc) than a stone one, because it's lighter
and wood lends itself to long things (coming from trees, doncha know).

That being said, most bridges were mixed media. :)  A stone bridge would often
have wooden beams underneath, and a wooden bridge would often have stone
footings and anchors.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/