 Castle / 1969
Re: Going about building a Medieval Bridge...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:13:04 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote in message ...
I have been considering making some sort of bridge as my next project.  My
problem is I don't really know how to go about creating a Medieval Bridge. • So
here are a few questions that if you could help me it would be much
appreciated.

1.  What should a Medieval bridge (for a city) be constructed out of...
   A.  Stone (Gray/DkGray Bricks)
   B.  Wood  (Brown/Red Bricks)
   C.  Other

For a city, stone. You could check out that bridge in Sarajevo which
survived most of the war (that had survived from Medieval times). I think
there are other medieval bridges in european cities.

2.  What would a Medieval bridge (for a city) look like...
   A.  Open with many arched segments and footings.
   B.  Open with a long open span.
   C.  Covered with many arched segments and footings.
   D.  Covered with a long open span.
   E.  Other

Certainly lots of arched spans.

3.  How wide should a Medieval bridge be (for a city) in LEGO Units.
   A.  4 Studs (Walking bridge only)
   B.  6 Studs (Walking and Horses)
   C.  8 Studs (Walking, Horses, and Carriages)
   D.  10+ Studs.

Depends on how big the city is, and what it's purpose is. I think the bridge
in Sarajevo was fairly narrow.

4.  Seeing this bridge would probably be a main entrance to a City does it • need
   A.  Just Guards.
   B.  Guards and a Gate.
   C.  Guards, a Gate, and a Gate House.
   D.  No Guards at all.

Ah, main entrance, would definitely be wide enough for carts and stuff.
Depending on how hostile the area and time frame is would guage if it was
wider, and the degree of protection. It probably should have a small gate
house at the far end, plus a substantial gatehouse at the city wall. The
guards will of course also collect tolls.

Frank