 Castle / 1979
Re: Going about building a Medieval Bridge...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:07:44 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.castle, Eric Kingsley writes:
I have been considering making some sort of bridge as my next project.  My
problem is I don't really know how to go about creating a Medieval Bridge.

I've been looking on the 'net for some details...I haven't yet found a
picture of the famous "London Bridge" but that might be an interesting one
for you to think about.

That's the one medieval bridge that I have actually seen in person (it is,
rather obscenely, in Lake Havasu, Arizona).  Quite wide, lots of arches.

The LB in Lake Havasau, AZ was actually built in the 1700s, a bit late for
medieval era.  The medieval London Bridge was made of wood, which
personally boggles me as the Thames is a nice wide river.  The stone
bridge was built after the Londoners got tired of people burning their
bridge or threatening to burn it.

I thought you were refering to the stone one since the wooden ones are long
gone (?).  You are correct, the actual stone one was a later-than-medieval
replacement.  Oops.

Bruce