 Castle / 16853
Re: Confessions of a Lugnet Lurker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 04:48:54 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Alan Findlay writes:

Hi, my name is Alan...

and I'm a Lugnet Lurker.

And you're a good editor as well...I recall some of your
criticism of my written works a few months ago, and would
like to thank you for it. Taking those suggestions to heart
resulted in my generation of heightened quality writing.

I didn't start out trying to be a lurker, but somehow it
kinda crept up on me. And before I knew it I was always
lurking, seldom contributing.

I'd like to change that, but I also know that it will take
some work.

I feel I should be contributing to the MOC basis as well
to .castle, but I rarely ever find the time to do just that.
Of course, I write reviews and post here regularly, so that's
contribution discussion-wise, is it not? :)

Sometime back in the fall someone made a post in .Castle
that really got me thinking. He said that the reason why
fewer castlehead posted creations than spaceheads had to
do with the nature of most castle creations. Spaceheads
could whip together a ship or squadron in an evening, post
the results, and everyone could appreciate it. But in
.Castle we often were working on BIG projects, always waiting
for it to be just right before posting. And yet there was
always something left to do, so creations never quite got posted.

Hence, the creation of the MM was warranted, which Jeremy
Scott pioneered. With such a setup, the theory goes that a
builder can throw together a modest 'one night stand' project
and present the unit to the community.

In my opinion, this was a perfect solution to a variety
of problems. It served to unite the community a bit,
increase creation output and fuel otherwise dry discussion.

That was me all over. My main castle keep is in it's 5th
or 6th "edit", my city wall is currently version 4, soon
to be 4.5 or so. If I waited until everything was perfect,
it would likely be my grandkids posting announcements.

Yes, I realize how much of an investmentm perfecting the
accentuation to get. Working on my Merle (not castle
related...yes, that's blasphemy :), I spent a few hours
tearing and rebuilding the ship several times in what
could have easily been a forty-five minute project.

On the scale of castles, I can't really blame you...
some people probably take years at such an endeavor
until they're satisfied.

So, I got myself a BrickShelf account, borrowed a
digital camera from the office, and have now posted
some initial offerings of what I'm working on --
even though I've already got plans to make changes ;)

Kai Gerkens worked similarly with his 'White Lion castle',
whichhas already seen an update. Change is great, at times,
so don't overload it.

They can be found at:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Wag

Is that just the gate of your castle? From the looks,
it's impressive, but I'm wondering what lies within
the confines of the gates? Perhaps a courtyard? I'd like
to see this as one large unit, with a village at its
center and possibly a central office at its end.

Under Minifigs:

1) My response to the events of September 11, 2001.
2) My rendition of the characters from the popular
game, Clue. Each character and weapon is created using
standard Lego parts -- no cutting, scraping, gluing,
stickers, etc.

Personally, I'm not much for modifying my parts unless
it's acsolutely necessitated. In fact, I can only
recall doing this once (that was removing the bottom
of a scala crown to place is affront my Seikryu
project, as seen below.)

Under Castle:

Various views of my city wall and main gate, from inside and outside, gate
open and closed. Because I don't have a specific room dedicated to Lego
building, my creations have to be built to fit on a shelf. Hence, modularity.

I believe the MM standard also allows for modularity, if
I recall correctly.

I've been influenced by many Lugnetters over the years, and most of my
creations have elements that at some point were derived from someone else's
creations -- with my own edits due to parts, size, etc.

So long as you don't blatantly copy an idea and present it
as your own, that's all that matters. :)

The one part that is not the result of someone else's work (at least, none
that I've seen) is the city gate, which is set in a corner at 45 degrees
from the adjoining walls. I went through several renditions to get it right,
and I'm quite pleased with the result.
I hope to have pictures of my little cathedral and keep with causeway
sometime in the near future...
... a lot depends on kicking this lurking habit.

That shouldn't be much of a problem, just keep up
the building and keep the community updated...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y {the ocean wind hawk}

http://www.lugnet.com/~1112/Creations/