 Castle / 16842
16841  |  16843
Subject:
Confessions of a Lugnet Lurker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 01:15:32 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi, my name is Alan...

and I'm a Lugnet Lurker.

I didn't start out trying to be a lurker, but somehow it kinda crept up on
me. And before I knew it I was always lurking, seldom contributing.

I'd like to change that, but I also know that it will take some work.

Sometime back in the fall someone made a post in .Castle that really got me
thinking. He said that the reason why fewer castlehead posted creations than
spaceheads had to do with the nature of most castle creations. Spaceheads
could whip together a ship or squadron in an evening, post the results, and
everyone could appreciate it. But in .Castle we often were working on BIG
projects, always waiting for it to be just right before posting. And yet
there was always something left to do, so creations never quite got posted.

That was me all over. My main castle keep is in it's 5th or 6th "edit", my
city wall is currently version 4, soon to be 4.5 or so. If I waited until
everything was perfect, it would likely be my grandkids posting announcements.

So, I got myself a BrickShelf account, borrowed a digital camera from the
office, and have now posted some initial offerings of what I'm working on --
even though I've already got plans to make changes ;)

They can be found at:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Wag

Under Minifigs:

1) My response to the events of September 11, 2001.
2) My rendition of the characters from the popular game, Clue. Each
character and weapon is created using standard Lego parts -- no cutting,
scraping, gluing, stickers, etc.

Under Castle:

Various views of my city wall and main gate, from inside and outside, gate
open and closed. Because I don't have a specific room dedicated to Lego
building, my creations have to be built to fit on a shelf. Hence, modularity.

Also, a rather fuzzy photo of the types of troops I'm creating: swordsmen,
archers, axe-men.

I've been influenced by many Lugnetters over the years, and most of my
creations have elements that at some point were derived from someone else's
creations -- with my own edits due to parts, size, etc.

The one part that is not the result of someone else's work (at least, none
that I've seen) is the city gate, which is set in a corner at 45 degrees
from the adjoining walls. I went through several renditions to get it right,
and I'm quite pleased with the result.

I also have in development a MM shop. Hey, I gave input into creating the
standard, so I should at least contribute something.

I hope to have pictures of my little cathedral and keep with causeway
sometime in the near future...

... a lot depends on kicking this lurking habit.

Alan