 Castle / 15495
15494  |  15496
Subject:
MOC - Bowman Fields' Cottage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 01:50:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi All,

  This is my first real[1] Castle MOC ever, the home of Bowman Fields,
adventurer-for-hire. It's a bit small, even for a little cottage, but I love
the way it looks so cartoony. I was inspired by a photo of a miniature
cottage from one of those collectibles companies somewhere on the net.
  The cottage:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/0front.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/0frontleft.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/0frontright.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/0rearright.jpg

  The entire thing fits on a 16x16 baseplate (or 2 8x16's, since it's
hinged), and opens on a hinge down the middle.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/1opening.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/2open.jpg

  Interior shots:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/3entryway.jpg
  The entryway. Woo. This is where... you enter the house. You can also see
the top of the stairway, which is cut in half by the hinge.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/4coatrack.jpg
  The back of the entry. I like the idea of the palm-tree-top-thingy as a
coatrack. Also here is a barrel containing a pair of snowshoes, a shovel,
and Bowman's walking stick.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/5bowmanbedroom.jpg
  Bowman himself, in his bedroom. Not much to look at, is it? Present are
the bed, a small table, Bowman's safe, on top of which is (not very visible)
a rather disturbing souvenir - a jar containing the brain of a Mind Eater
Fields defeated on one of his voyages.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BrokenEarth/FieldsCottage/6livingroom.jpg
  The real meat of the house is in the rear of the main room. A fireplace,
desk and bookshelf are crammed into the small space. Various trophies,
treasures, and oddities can be found here. Bowman's traveling pack can be
seen hanging on the rail, and extra firelogs between the desk and the hearth.

  Overall, I'm pleased with the results. While it is tiny, I think it's just
big enough inside to be legit. This is the first thing I've been able to
actually finish and show in a long time, and I imagine it has to do with the
small size. Now that I'm done with this one, I'm looking at more designs out
there to work with. I have a sneaking suspicion that Bowman will be moving
into a larger house soon :)
  PLMKWYT!

-jeremiah-

[1] Not the first ever, but the first one I'm really proud of and the first
one actually built *on* something. My real first entry into castle can be
found here: http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=13515