 Castle / 15384
Re: Would like to know
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:39:40 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Kevin Wanner writes:

    I would like to know what type of cammra/software is used and the pros
and cons of this items and prices if you can.  I am trying to get a cammra
so I can start posting my story and my MOCs.  I'm looking for some thing
that can take good pic of legos and also I want software that can edit the
pic, like what Anthany dose.  Thanx and Marry Christmas
                     --Kevin W. §

I personally use an Olympus D-510 digital camera and Adobe Photoshop 6.0.

As cameras go, any camera that uses film can take good pictures of LEGO.  The
only trick is that you must get the lighting right.  The more light you having
shining on your subject, and the right type of light for your film, the clearer
and more detailed your pictures will be.  After you use up your rolls of film,
you can then get them developed directly to Picture CD, unless you already own
or have free access to a flatbed or other quality scanner.

As far as digital cameras go, you need to look at how many megapixels the
camera can take.  While it's not the only factor you need to look into a
digital camera, it is a good place to start.  Megapixel is a kind of made up
number by taking the maximum dimentions of the picture that a digital camera
can take and multiplying them together, and rounding off to whereever the
manufacturer wants to.  My camera takes pictures at 1600 x 1200 maximum
resolution, so it can take pictures at 2.0 megapixels.  Another good feature to
look for is zoom.  Most digital cameras have two different types of zoom:
digital and optical.  Digital zoom is achieved when the camera takes the
exisiting picture and blows it up.  While you will get a picture that shows a
larger subject, the picture quality will have been sacrificed to do so.
Optical zoom is an actual physical zoom, so image quality is the same zoomed in
or out.  Optical zoom is by far a more desireable feature, but because of the
physical mechanics envolved, adds to the cost of the camera.  Be warned,
retailer's like to advertise cameras with total zoom capabilities.  If the
camera has a 2x optical zoom, and a 3x digital zoom, they'll advertise it as
having 6x total zoom.  In my experience, you won't find any 'good' digital
cameras for less than $200, and like everything, quality goes up as price does.

Digital cameras need good lighting too, and in some cases even more so than
film cameras.  Like I said with film cameras, the more light with digital
cameras, the clearer and more detailed your pictures will be.  But with digital
pictures, not only do you lose color and detail with lower light, but pictures
taken with a digital camera with too poor a light will also look very grainy.

The debate between film and digital cameras is not final.  Good film cameras
take very high quality pictures, and with developing to picture CD, getting
pictures into a computer has been very easy.  The downside to this is the
constant cost of film and developing.  Digital cameras take decent pictures but
the upload to a computer is almost instant, unlike the day or two for picture
developing.  The downside to digital cameras is the high initial cost.  It all
depends on what you plan on doing.  If you plan to take only a few pictures,
say, under 100, then a film camera would be more cost effective.  If you're
going for a volume of pictures, then a digital camera would be the cheaper.
But then again, if you're going for super high quality pictures the likes of
which the world has never seen, then you'd be spending a fortune either way.

As for photo editing software, I have a distinct bias for Adobe Photoshop.  It
is probably the most expensive consumer photo editing software out there, but
it is arguably the best.  There are others out there that can be used just as
well, you'll just have to do some shopping.  The more the software allows you
to do, the better.  But then again, if you're going after what I have done,
most all of my picture enhancements have been done with the airbrush tool and
little else.

I hope that helps you out...

--Anthony
http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros