 Castle / 13729
Re: What makes 375 a Legend? (Was: New legend is up ))Color Variants(()
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:20:35 GMT

"Bruce Hietbrink" <bnh@chem.ucla.edu> wrote in message
It seemed to me that the Yellow Castle came out a
few years after the first Classic Space.  I was very
much into Classic Space when I was a kid, though
I did look longingly at the new Castle sets when they
came out.

Apparently the Yellow Castle was released in different
years in the US and Europe. The timeline would be
something like:

'78 YC introduced in Europe.
'79 Classic Space introduced in both US and Eur.
'81 YC introduced in the US.

(This may vary between different European countries
and the YC was available somewhat earlier in parts of
the US, but this should give the general picture.)

For me there are two reasons that the Yellow Castle
is a Legend.  First, this is the set that started one of
the all-time great themes.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Second, this is pre-juniorization:  all bricks, no
prefabricated wall pieces.  Add to that that I just love
the design.

I have no objections against juniorization per se.
In order to test myself I built the Yellow Castle in grey
a while ago, but I'm not so particularly excited about it.
I like the way it opens and closes but that's about it, for
the rest the design appears rather straightforward to me.
All that is a matter of personal taste of course, which is
hard to argue about.

Basically when I think "Legend" I think about a theme
and think about what sets are the all-time best of that
theme.  For Castle I'd go with the two that were in the
vote and also a couple of the Wolfpack and Forestmen
sets.

My personal favorite Castle set is 6097 Batlord's Castle,
but that one appears too young to me to be a legend.

Twan.
--
Twanneman@planet.nl