 Castle / 13722
Re: What makes 375 a Legend? (Was: New legend is up ))Color Variants(()
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:51:54 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Twan Theeuwen writes:
[X-posted & FUT .castle]

"Richard Noeckel" <Shroud_of_kung_fu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
[about 375 Yellow Castle]
4.)And it'd remain faithful the original design and style
that made the original so very appealing in the first place!!!

Is it true that the original Yellow Castle was so appealing?
This seems to be the concensus at LUGnet, but I remember
differently.

The big hit in 1978, when Lego introduced the Yellow
Castle, was Technic. The next year Lego introduced
Space. These two, together with Trains were exciting
themes we talked about, longed for, placed on our
wishlists and showed off to our friends if we received
them. The Yellow Castle originally wasn't special, another
Legoland set, nothing more, nothing less. I seriously
doubt if it even sold well.

Seems to me that 375 must have gained it's legendary
status long after the original release, after Castle grew
into a serious theme of its own and castle fans started to
search Lego history for the first ever castle set.

I'm don't want to offend anybody, but I'm genuinely
surprised that so many people seem to think the original
Yellow castle was so appealing.

Different timing in Europe and the U.S. In the U.S., Castle was introduced
first in pictures in the 6000 Idea Book in 1979. All the kids I knew stared
at the Castle pictures long after we had become familiar with our Space sets
and so on. Attempts to use space antennae as swords were unsatisfying. Then,
finally, we got Castle in Summer 1981 (Christmas 1980 in some U.S. cities
like Dallas, Texas.)

I was told by the Playmobil executive here that Knights sell better in the
U.S. and Indians better in Europe. It's a case of marketing each other's
mythologies, he said. (This might not be entirely true.) A similar
phenomenon I heard of later was when the host of a Celtic radio show in a
western U.S. state got a job in Ireland as, you guessed it, a country and
western radio show host.

Maybe this reinforces your observations: Yellow Castle more legendary in
country with no naturally occuring castles. (18th century cannon forts
notwithstanding.)

Another consideration is that, if one were the right age for Yellow Castle,
possibly one missed Gray Castle entirely.

-Erik