 Castle / 13764
Re: What makes 375 a Legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:22:15 GMT

Hi Johannes,

"Johannes Koehler" <chutspe@nexgo.de> wrote in message
news:Gz7zxF.sC@lugnet.com...
[Yellow Castle]
Luckily I own a complete copy now :-) When I look at it today
I see a nice castle but there are other castles that are nicer (e.g.
6074).

That's also my feeling. I don't hate the Yellow Castle, I think it's
a nice model, but not to the extent that I'm stunned by the
design. Unlike 6074 & 6067, the examples you name, that I
think are both pretty ingenious designs.
I voted for the Black Falcon Fortress on the Lego website for
Legend, without any doubt.
375 interest me mainly for "historical" reasons.

I seriously
doubt if it even sold well.

It sold very well. Today it is NOT a rare set in auctions and
garage sales so it must have been bought by many people
then.

That's a good point indeed.

Seems to me that 375 must have gained it's legendary
status long after the original release, after Castle grew
into a serious theme of its own and castle fans started to
search Lego history for the first ever castle set.

Very good! I think that's the point.
It's not enough for a set to be nice and desired if it wants to
be called a "legend." A real legendary set must have a
"history" (like the 6067) or must even BE history (like 375).
There must be something special. Something VERY special.

On the Lego website [1] it says: "LEGO Legends are reissues
of landmark LEGO sets [...]". That's the definition that I go by.
But I guess that's also what you mean.

Breezeway Cafe and Pizza To Go in my eyes ain't legendary
sets. Their re-issue even destroys the idea of "Legend"....

I cannot judge this, i.e. I have no idea if these are landmark
sets in their theme. I bought neither but that's because I don't
like the bricks I get for my money, has nothing to do with them
being a Legend or not. :o)

This is what I think about legends. What I think about
re-releases is a different cup of tea. I do not like them.

Then we don't agree completely, but that's no problem.
Your opinions are appreciated.

Cheers, Twan.

[1] http://www.lego.com/build/features/legendvote/default.asp
    (bottom of page)