 Castle / 13731
Re: What makes 375 a Legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 03:48:51 GMT

Hello!

Is it true that the original Yellow Castle was so appealing?
This seems to be the concensus at LUGnet, but I remember
differently.

I've got very vague memorizations of the Yellow Castle. When it was
initially released in 1978 I was just one year old. However, it was in
catalogue until 1983 and probably in many stores still available one or two
years later.

But although I saw it in catalogues and of course in the idea book 6000 (a
legend for itself) I never felt this special appeal of the 375. Maybe it was
too yellow to me...
The big brother of my best friend had it, but we used the bricks to build
houses. I was the one who decaled the stickers from the knights' armours to
make bulletproof vests for the policemen.

Luckily I own a complete copy now :-) When I look at it today I see a nice
castle but there are other castles that are nicer (e.g. 6074).

I seriously
doubt if it even sold well.

It sold very well. Today it is NOT a rare set in auctions and garage sales
so it must have been bought by many people then. (Rare of course are the
stickers and paperware. Which normal child cares about stickers that might
get precious twenty years later...?)

Seems to me that 375 must have gained it's legendary
status long after the original release, after Castle grew
into a serious theme of its own and castle fans started to
search Lego history for the first ever castle set.

Very good! I think that's the point.
It's not enough for a set to be nice and desired if it wants to be called a
"legend." A real legendary set must have a "history" (like the 6067) or must
even BE history (like 375). There must be something special. Something VERY
special. Breezeway Cafe and Pizza To Go in my eyes ain't legendary sets.
Their re-issue even destroys the idea of "Legend"....

This is what I think about legends. What I think about re-releases is a
different cup of tea. I do not like them.

Bye
Jojo
http://www.chutspe.de/steinwerk/falckenstein/