 Castle / 13523
Re: Kingdom of Gatimrja: story continues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:06:21 GMT

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.  The constructive criticism is rellay
what I was hoping for.

To that end, i spent a bit of time yesterday increasing the size of the
character icons which identify who's speaking.  Hopefully they are easier to
see and distinguish one person from the other.

I never expected compliments on the multi-colored castle.  My design goals
for it were just to make it big and simple, to give the effect of something
being descibed and envisioned by three people who had never seen it
themselves.  It also needed to have the look of the old yellow castle sets,
to indicate its antiquity.  The walls were designed to come off individually
to facilitate getting pictures inside the courtyard, and there wasn't a real
back wall at all; it was good scenery and little more.  And, of course, it
didn't survive the photo session intact.  I might have some more pictures of
it lying around somewhere.  Perhaps I'll post them some day.

As to personal names, most of them are real.  Hrethwyn is the only one i
made up, though I used old english roots (Hreth = victory or battle
(conflicting sources), Wyn = joy).  I wrote an extensive post about this a
while back, if you're interested:

http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=12434

I'm happy there was a positive response to the the modernity of the
gender-relations in the kingdom.  Gatimrja was founded in an attempt to
begin a new Golden Age, and the founding dynasty as much of the progressive
tendancies of their forebears as they could.  They have enough to worry
about with greed, treachery, political power struggles, invasions, and the
like.  Or, to put it from my perspective, it always stuck me as odd when i
was a child that the Prince always had to rescue the Princess, and never the
other way around.  Or... but I should say no more before I give away any of
the upcoming story.

Also, Aemilia gets to be the hero(ine) because she's the most interesting of
the lot, flaws and all.  The only person in the Kingdom who is absolutely
without fault is Sir Hrethwyn.  He gets a nice big part, to be sure, but if
it were centered on him the story would be just a tad boring.

Enough rambling, it's time to work on chapter II...

--William