 Castle / 13271
Re: BrickFest 2002 Castle Room
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 12:40:04 GMT

Nice to see this thread coming back!

I suggest a wall of around 13 brick height, including battlements. For
example, a 3 brick high slope at the base on tope of which you can either
have a  6 high wall section, or just build up with bricks. Top that with a 4
brick high paraphet.  I know that not everyone likes wall sections, but for
many of us, using them is the only way to build a wall of decent looking
height. If the wall is at least 4 studs thick, we can easily have firing
positions inside the wall for firing out of the windows/arrow slits.

I was at the Tower of London and noticed that on some walls, the battlements
weren't quite high enough to shield a full man (even considering that people
were shorter then), so 4 bricks is probably high enough. We could do them
higher, but the higher we build the walls, the shorter they will end up
being because of limited brick resources. Also I think that a wall of this
height (this low) may look wrongly proportioned with battlements higher than
this. A 2 brick high merlon looks best IMHO at between 4 to 5 bricks wide,
but if I am using castle wall sections, I like building them 3 wide, because
with a two brick gap between them they correspond well with the wall
sections beneath them. This can be down to personal taste of course.

I like making machicolations (2 high and jutting out 2 bricks from the wall
by using 2 inverse slopes on top of each other), and they are much easier
and less parts consuming than building hoardings. But details like this
could feasilbly be down to individual builders. Real castle walls were built
at different periods and were often of different height and thickness.

To balance colour uniformity with the limited brick resources that different
peopel wil have, how about aggreeing on a flat light great wall, but with
towerds being any colour you like. So for example you could have a black,
white or tan tower if you like. This colours scheme can look quite nice, I
think, Kevin Hall has used it to great effect on his walled city;

In lugnet.castle, Thomas Garrison writes:

Thanks for showing a link to my castle. I'm planning on bringing the whole
thing along to BF, but this illustrates quite well what I have in mind,
except that I am suggesting we use only 3 brick high slope at the base
instead of the big ninja wall sections. This shows the kind of
machicolations I try to describe above.

Jeff, I think we should all be able to bring at least one 16  by 16 module.
Perhaps we could have a main road at 16 pegs wide (tan baseplates) and have
8 wide roads for small alleyways between buildings?

How many people are interested in joining in on this grand little project then?

cheers

Magnus