 Castle / 12339
Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:36:17 GMT

Another thing I learned playing Brickwars (thanks Aaron Sneary and Jeff
Stembel), is that it can be funnest if the objective is something other than
"eliminate all enemy troops before they do the same to you". If instead the
objective is some kind of "capture the flag" thing or hold a bridge/
hilltop/castle for x number of rounds etc, it may seem as less realistic,
but be far more playable.

i disagree about the 'realism' aspect of it.  two reasons:

1. the problem with melee style fighting is that in real warfare you always
have to plan about the future. 85% casuality rate is unheard of in real
warfare, because you will probably have enemies (other kings, or possibly a
peasant revolt) in the future who will take advantage of such a devastating
victory.  you also have to think about morale.  men won't fight for a guy who
generally kills off most of his men just to achieve victory (ie. morale
problems in WW1).

2. sometimes battles were to just beat the crap out of your enemy, but quite
often there is another reason as well.  there is alot of fighting to take
strategic points, or even strategic concerns, such as holding off an enemy
while your main force does a flanking maneuver (sp). such things like 'capture
the flag' may seem silly, but actually mirror real military concerns.. more so
than melee and general destruction.

peace
-lenny