 Castle / 12329
Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:22:32 GMT

I've tried Brickwars once, and it was very fun, but in case you haven't
figured out yet, it is also a very goofy, silly kind of game. If you are
going for a more serious medieval strategy game, Brickwars may not be the
way to go.

Making your own rules can be fun! In my experience, the more rules you have,
the slower play will progresss, but the more realistic the game can become.
If you will be using many figs each, it will be least cumbersome if you
don't have to keep track of each man's health and stuff like that on paper.
So giving each many a health score to be depleted gradually can seem like a
good idea, but it can be very hard to keep track of each guy.

Another thing I learned playing Brickwars (thanks Aaron Sneary and Jeff
Stembel), is that it can be funnest if the objective is something other than
"eliminate all enemy troops before they do the same to you". If instead the
objective is some kind of "capture the flag" thing or hold a bridge/
hilltop/castle for x number of rounds etc, it may seem as less realistic,
but be far more playable. Otherwise you are likely to end up just pitting
two forces against each other in a melee where predictably the guy with the
most troops will probably come out on top with 75-85% casualties. Remeber if
you are going to include fortifications, you will have to work out rules for
siege warfare beforehand. That's something I've never done myself, but I'm
sure it can be very fun!

cheers

Magnus