 Castle / 12319
  Castle wars: teach us, quick!

Hi there! The subject line pretty much says it all: we, the portuguese luggies, will have our first gathering in mid-March; there will be some castles and "castle-heads" among us, so we thought it might be interesting to set up a small "war". The (...) (22 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!

(...) There are a couple of different ways you can go. There is a link to Mike Rayhawk's Brikwars on the web interface at Lugnet.fun.gaming. James Brown has also written some cool rules for castle wars. You can make them simpler or more complicated (...) (22 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!

I've tried Brickwars once, and it was very fun, but in case you haven't figured out yet, it is also a very goofy, silly kind of game. If you are going for a more serious medieval strategy game, Brickwars may not be the way to go. Making your own (...) (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!

(...) i disagree about the 'realism' aspect of it. two reasons: 1. the problem with melee style fighting is that in real warfare you always have to plan about the future. 85% casuality rate is unheard of in real warfare, because you will probably (...) (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!

(...) Lessons well learned by King Pyrrhus when he defeated the Romans at too high a cost. I believe his own words were, "One more such victory and we are lost." (...) True again. Some of the more realistic strategy games I have seen focus on (...) (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!

(First of all, let me thank once again for everyone's replies; I have started to look at the rules, and hope to be at least somewhat comfortable with the game logic by the time our meeting takes place) (...) Yup, I know the story. The expression (...) (22 years ago, 21-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!

Good points on realism. (...) Hope you ahve a great time! Starting out with not that many troops may be a good idea. In my experience a battle with two sides of 50 men each, can easily take as long as a game of monopoly. If one side is defending a (...) (22 years ago, 21-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!

Good thread. History, Lego, and war. :) Thanks, Magnus, for the advice about starting with a smaller number of troops. I've mentioned designing a new Castle display throughout the year, and had considered planning a possible wargame using whatever (...) (22 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt)

  Re: Castle wars: teach us, quick!

(...) I'm guessing that 100 men, two castles, plus a village should give you more than enough fun for a day. Have fun! Magnus (22 years ago, 24-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.pt)