 Castle / 1137
Re: New helmet and Era.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:01:31 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Doyle G. Nelson writes:
Hello,

I have heard a lot of people say that the new lego helmet is more 15th - 16th
centu ry than earlier periods. The Helmets name escapes me for now, but it
was used in the 13th century a lot as one of the main style of helms besides
the norman and great helm. I know it was used a lot in Henry 8 day, but it is
perfectly suitable for the 1200's period. Though I don't think I would use it
in an earlier peiod than that.

The Kettle hat, or Kettle helm, or Ketyl(l) hat/helm, or chapelle-de-fer
originated around 1200 give or take a few years, as you note.  No doubt there
are further names for it, those are just the ones I'm familair with.  They
seem to have remained popular throughout the remainder of the medieval period

Heck, I know people who still wear them. :)

Of course, I'm weird and in the SCA, so that might account for it...

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/