 Off-Topic / Fun / 3866
Re: New helmet and Era.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:34:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Brown writes:
I haven't made a Pennsic yet... hopefully this year - it depends on how
the holiday time works out.  I was at Clinton this year, which is the biggest
war I've been too - ~300 heavies on the field, I think.

  Then you're in for a real treat, if you can ever make it to Pennsic!  A
very conservative estimate puts the main field battle at about 2000
participants--very possibly upward of 3500 some years.  It's probably the
epitome of geekness, but despite (because of?) this, I love it anyway!  Wholly
unlike any mundane experience except perhaps being in a riot, and that's no fun
at all.
  Just to consider the math, say an average SCA helm probably weighs in at 8
pounds.  That's maybe 14 TONS of helmets on the field!  When the armies collide
at the center of the field, you can (to use a cliche) feel the ground shake.

Hmm - if we get more esoteric, we might have to set followups to .geek. :)

If that's where we have to go, so be it!

     Dave!