 Off-Topic / Fun / 3865
Re: New helmet and Era.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 23:04:02 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.castle, James Brown writes:

Heck, I know people who still wear them. :)

Not in combat, I hope!  That wide dinnerplate of a helm would be both a
wonderful mace-lander as well as a great funnel for catching rattan
upper-cuts!

Yup - in combat.  It's used up here in An Tir as a light helm, so the
afor-mentioned problems aren't. :)

Whew!  Here in Athelmearc (spell it as you see fit!) I haven't yet seen
them, but I've been out of the loop for awhile.
I missed this past Pennsic because I was in the process of moving.  Did you
get there?  How about last year?

Nope, I haven't made a Pennsic yet... hopefully this year - it depends on how
the holiday time works out.  I was at Clinton this year, which is the biggest
war I've been too - ~300 heavies on the field, I think.

I think the reason the kettle helm has been popular here is that it's easy to
make - you start with a steel hardhat, (which gives it the distinctive shape),
and the rest is fairly simple to put together.  I've seen them whipped off
almost from scratch in a day - that's fully to legal spec, and safe - I'd be
comfortable wearing it (if I were a light).  The big time-saver is no dishing
required for the dome.

Popular is also maybe the wrong term - they aren't rare, but there are many
more common helm types out there.

Hmm - if we get more esoteric, we might have to set followups to .geek. :)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/