 Castle / 10676
Re: King Leo's Palace
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:25:24 GMT

It makes perfect sense Magnus, I'm inclined to try the incorporation of Dark
grey first, as the curtain wall is made up of 2 wide bricks for the first
several layers, then when the "window wall" bricks start, it goes to 1 wide,
so the walls are thick at the bottom, and thinner near the top.  to place
the lower layer above the upper layer would be almost impossible.  It's a
great suggestion though, and when I build in the future, I'll definately do
it, thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will save money too!  Jon

In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jon Furman writes:
Magnus,
I'm afraid you have stumbled upon my little secret!  I am completely out of
Grey Bricks and plates!  I agree with all of your comments.  In fact, my
original plans for the wall were a lot more grand than they are now, I just
ran short of raw materials.  The gates on the sides of the castle were never
originally intended to be there.  They just took up space that didn't have
to be filled with brick!  Along the top of the main gatehouse, the bricks
are merely there to create the illusion of a battlement, because there
weren't enough bricks to create a real one.

I know exactly what you mean about brick shortages cutting into your castle.
I was never really satisfied with the curtain wall on my most recent castle
(a bit smaller than yours).  I xcan think of two doiable ways of "beefing
up" the wall:

Include dark grey bricks incorporated into the main grey wall. If you do
this properly, it really doesn't look bad at all. Depending on how many/what
kind of dark grey bricks you have, you could make the wall or battlements
higher.

If you want to make the battlements higher, you could also take one layer of
the bricks you have under the wall segments, remove them, and add them to
the battlement wall. The resulting wall would be the same height, the men
would be standing on a paraphet one brick lower, but would have an extra
brick 's worth of protection. Hope this makes sense.