 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2235
Re: Gamma correction (was Re: color, contrast and brightness problems - any idea?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 19:11:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   So why does my monitor come in at about 1.7 on the first chart, and 2.4 on the second? I’ll accept that the second makes it far easier to find the best match, but I won’t accept that my estimate is off by 0.7 on the first chart. There’s absolutely no way my monitor is over 2 on that chart, and 1.7 really looks like the best match.

--Travis Cobbs

Well, I found both of those charts off of google, so i don’t know which one is more accurate. At the risk of confusing things even more, I found another page with a similar test: http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#gammachart. I believe this one is accurate, since he give the formula used for calculating the solid areas.

It’s also important to have the monitor’s contrast and brightness set correctly. The contrast control should be set to maximum; the brightness control should be set so that a test image such as http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/gamma/black-level.gif the letter should be visible, but just barely.

Andy