 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2228
2227  |  2229
Subject:
Gamma correction (was Re: color, contrast and brightness problems - any idea?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 19:02:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Sven Reger wrote:
   Hi all, I have a problem and no idea hox to fix it. I’m working on a notebook with active tft-display. Rendered pictures seem to be brilliant with enough brightness and contrast. Whenever I see one of these pictures on a PC with CRT I’m shocked. Discoloured, too dark and so on... If I use a normal PC & CRT to render the picture and I adjust brightness and all other settings there the picture has too much brightness on my notebook. I can’t raise contrast & brightness on my crt so much that it looks like the tft. Any other idea how to fix that?

Just one example here. The background of this picture is milky white on my notebook but kind of pink on any crt. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=752484

TIA

Sven

Basically, the problem you’re seeing is that Windows does no gamma correction, and your two machines have different monitor gammas. (see http://www.cgsd.com/papers/gamma_intro.html for an explanation)

To fix this, in theory, you basically have to calculate your current monitor’s gamma, tell POV what that is, and then save your image in a file format that understands and corrects for it (i.e., save as a .PNG). In practice, this still might not fix your problem, since the PNG display program still has to guess what the display gamma is on most machines.

To roughly determine your monitors gamma, squint at this image: Where the right side appears to be the same grayscale value as the left, that is your monitor’s gamma. I don’t know how to feed this into POV, check the documentation.

Andy