 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1825
Re: UPDATE Re: vose inspection car render
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:37:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Kunce wrote:
Well I'm still at it.  And I'm pleased to say that I think that things are
getting better and better.  Still not photo-realistic, but I think that
certian parts (ie... the inverse wedges on the roof) will never render
correctly until the part is more refined.  In the meantime, I'm working
with the lighting to bring out as much detail as possible from the black
bricks without losing detail in the gray bricks.

Anyhow... here is the latest version:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/elkane/Train/Vose-Car/render.jpg

Let me know what you think that I could do to make it more photorealistic...
I'd like to get this to the point where people say is that CAD or real... No
kidding.  Please!

Well, first you'll need to stop working with the lighting to bring out as much
detail as possible from the black brick. Real photos are usually slightly muddy.
Also, you'll need to add some digital dust to your model, and make the surfaces
shinier. The brick edges should be less well-defined, and less bright. And the
shadows should be much less sharp, and the background less sterile [1].

Compare your MOC with this photo of a black brick at about the same scale:
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=424006

I don't envy you your task. The only other photos that made me wonder whether
they were real or renderings were of the Royal Train.
http://www.royal-train.com/gallery_120.jpg
And I believe those were actual photos that were then digitally cleaned up.

Anyway, good luck! I hope that helps!

Rick Clark

[1] Please be aware that these suggestions are made with absolutely no regard to
the complexity or difficulty in implementation.