 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1819
UPDATE Re: vose inspection car render
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:29:55 GMT

hey guys,

the emails about the color libraries came all morning, and i'm glad to say
that now I can use all the cool colors from http://guide.lugnet.com/color/
as well as the original colors from color.inc.  This souped up render has
replaced the orignial.  Here is the link.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/elkane/Train/Vose-Car/render.jpg

The quality of the bricks changed enough that it seemed necessary to add
another light to bring out some of the details that got lost on the black
bricks.  I'd like to find a way to trun off its shadow though.... let me
know if you know how.  I've been looking for an answer in the povray help
file but can't seem to find that part.  I seem to remember someone posting
something about a shadowless attribute to the light, but can't seem to find
it right now.

The new library fully helped the grilles on the side to show thier detail
correctly.  Still the lugnet library was a little too light on the standard
grey color, so i reverted that color back to the original lgeo color
designation which seems perfect.

Ok... so a few things I've learned along the way

READ POVRAY HELP FILE.  It contains everything you need to know if you have
the patience to look. Don't be afraid to experiment.  I bet there are a lot
people out there like me that don't have a comp sci degree and see these
library and include files as some kind of foreign language or binary code.
Fact is that once you dig in, they are about as straight forward as you can
imagine.  This goes for both the radiosty library and the color library
files.  If you do plan on working with them just back them up by creating a
copy with a .bak extenstion (or whatever extension you like.)  That way you
can edit till youre heart is content, check to see what each change does
(great for learning what the different attributes really do,) and then
easily revert back to the original settings by deleting the file you worked
with and removing the .bak extension from your back up.

anyhow.  good rendering and keep the suggestions and help coming.

All though the new version is good... its still not a photo. So there must
be some more work to do.

thanks

-tk