 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 141
  User POV substitutions in L3P

After playing with Ldraw, The first thing I wanted to do was learn the file format and write a converter to POV. Then I found L3P, and was delighted. When I saw the minifigs with faceted heads, I investigated and learned about the triangle and quad (...) (25 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

(...) It sounds as a good idea since the parts/primitives libraries will need updates only when new l-cad updates are released. The current version of l3p allthough really good still needs regular updates to keep up with the growing parts libraries. (...) (25 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

(...) If it makes renderings better, POV files smaller, and doesn't take a lot of effort on my part, how could I not be interested? Please continue your efforts! --Bram Bram Lambrecht / o o \ BramL@juno.com ---...---oooo-----(_...o---...--- WWW: (...) (25 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

George GeoMan wrote... (...) The good thing about L3P: it is INDEPENDENT of part updates. The not so good thing about L3P: some rounded parts look egdy/angular. /Lars (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

Chuck Sommerville wrote... (...) Good idea, I have thought of it myself too :-) But I have postponed the implementation because I was hoping for an integration of LGEO and L3P: the effort writing POV replacements for LDraw parts naturally belongs in (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

(...) I'ts not too difficult to incorporate LGEO and L3P in the same POV file. I've done it once to get a high level of details in a wallpaper rendering: (URL) was surprised that noone mentioned this.) What you basically need to do to cram LGEO (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

Fredrik Glöckner wrote... (...) No, the mathematics is easy, just a simple matrix in POV. But Lutz mentioned something about a special index file and flags for transparent parts and slopes. And I can see LeoCAD's code to read the file. But I would (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

(...) Hm, he uses a special "rugged" texture on the slopes, to give them the correct look. (This can be done in L3P too, with some manual adjustments to the POV file.) Also, he seems to have two definitions for each part, one transparent and one (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

(...) Since I have already provided the source to Lars, I assume that he would like to add the code directly to L3P. He also knows how to deal with the issues I was unable to fix dealing with where L3P inserts the comment fields. For now, I will not (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

(...) I have had a change of heart. For those desparate to see whats going on, I have provided a sample kit. please note that the commands might change if Lars integrates it with L3P. I have provided source code, executable, two before and after (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: User POV substitutions in L3P

Fredrik Glöckner wrote... (...) Leonardo Zide has published the source for LeoCAD ((URL) apparently he knows how to read l2p_elmt.tab and l2p_ptrn.tab - though he doesn't seem to extract other info than the LGEO names, so maybe he just hacked the (...) (25 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)