 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 147
Re: User POV substitutions in L3P
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:15:33 GMT

Chuck Sommerville wrote...
... I have written an L3P post processor.  The basic idea is that you put
conditional compile commands and POV rendering commands in the Ldraw
primitives and parts files.

Good idea, I have thought of it myself too :-)
But I have postponed the implementation because I was hoping
for an integration of LGEO and L3P: the effort writing POV
replacements for LDraw parts naturally belongs in LGEO.

I agreed in August 1999 with Lutz Uhlmann (the author of LGEO) that
L3P could reference his LGEO parts. He promised to send some
technical details about file formats etc, but I haven't heard from him
since then, despite sending him 3 or 4 reminders.

However, I see your suggestion as a smart golden mean
between the raw mesh parts and the smooth LGEO parts,
- as a way of providing several Levels Of Detail (LOD) in a part
DAT file. You don't have to write POV code for the complete
part, only the rounded/conic/irregular section of the part,
L3P can handle the planar sections.

Another Level of Detail could be a simple mock-up version of
a part to facilitate very fast rendering (both POV rendering of
e.g. Datsville and when viewing huge models in L3Lab).
/Lars