 CAD / MLCad / 298
Re: MLCAD rotation (future request)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:12:18 GMT

It would also help if there were menu commands/tool buttons to move the
rotation point to the world origin or the local origin.

Steve "who posted all these messages while I was on vacation?" Bliss

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Michael Lachmann writes:
I will but this onto the list for V2.1 since V2.0 is in testing phase right
now, there are a lot of nice little things in this version, and I don't like
to make this version unstable now.

Michael

Jeff Boen <onyx@flash.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
FyuCwr.IMt@lugnet.com...
I know I've brought this up before.. and I still feel it is an important • point.
The current method of roation if MLCAD is far more limited than the method
available in LEdit. Although I appreciate the new option to rotate via • world
origin or object origin, this is still limited for 2 reasons.

#1. Without an icon, small crosshair or some other demarkation, it's often
difficult to know where the world origin is... I feel a crosshair should • be
shown (possible switched off with a menu option) similar to the one • showing the
local origin of the currently-selected element.

#2. If the point you wish to rotate about is not at the object or world • origin,
then you have to rotate and translate elements.. this leads to a great • deal of
trial and error.

Rather than having an option to rotate about the world origin, I feel it • would
be more productive to have a "Rotation Point" object that can be moved • about
the world space. When the toolbar rotation button is depressed (as it
currently is by default), rotations would take place about this point. • When the
toolbar button is not depressed, rotations would take place about the • object's
(or group of selected object's) local origin.

This would be just as versatile as LEdit's rotation method, but even • better
because you would always have a visual point of reference as to where the
current rotation point is located.